Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Sense and Sensibility, Volume the First, Chapters Fifteen to Seventeen

In which Willoughby is also suddenly called away on "business," breaking Marianne's heart into little bits and giving Elinor suspicious feelings; and Edward Ferrars makes his first appearance at Barton, whilst acting unfortunately cold and reserved; and in which our narrator realizes he's foolishly been doing his timestamps wrong possibly all the way back to "Rikki-tikki-tavi."



Getting this up a bit late, so right to the illustrations:

1:42 - Apparently in violent affliction.


21:03 - Begging her to stop.

It must be noted that, at 24:09 when Edwards states that "those bottoms must be dirty in winter," he is referring to the valleys, not any other sort of "bottom" you may be thinking of.

At 29:46, Edward mentions another of Marianne's favorite authors (along with Cowper -- again -- and Scott): James Thomson, another nature-loving poet and forerunner of Romanticism. He's best known for his poem cycle The Seasons, as well as for writing the lyrics to "Rule Britannia."

And yes, somehow I only JUST NOW REALIZED that I've been timestamping the illustrations and notes wrong, as I've been noting the time as I record, not taking into account the 16-second intro music that I now put in at the start. That's as many as EIGHTEEN recordings I've done this on without it even OCCURRING to me what I was doing. Sigh. I've updated back to "The Ransom of Red Chief," and I'll fix up Around the World in Eighty Days soon.


If you would like to read along, the text can be found at Project Gutenberg, and high-res copies of the Thompson illustrations can be found in the British Library's Flickr stream. No reading ahead, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment