Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Sense and Sensibility, Volume the Third, Chapters Eleven and Twelve

In which everyone insists that no, even with Willoughby's "vindication," there is no way Marianne would have been happy with him; it is revealed that Mr. Ferrars and Lucy Steele are now married, to the great agitation of everyone; and Edward comes to pay another most awkward visit.



Oh no! Mr. Ferrars is married! Well, I'm sure they will be very happy together. I must say, I love how wonderfully awkward pretty much every single scene with Edward is, and I don't identify with it at all.

Shut up.

9:37 - "I suppose you know, ma'am, that Mr. Ferrars is married."

Oh, hmm. Was Thomas supposed to be an older gentleman? Should I have, I don't know, baldened up his voice a little bit, or something? I should take a closer look at these illustrations maybe before recording. Ah, well.

17:43 - It was Edward.

Edward! Why you cut off your horse's tail like that? Don't you know that's their flyswatter? Not very nice. Elinor's better off without you, probably.

(All right, maybe I'm just looking for a way to use the "dismemberment" tag in this book. I suppose that's stretching it a bit, though. Seriously though, Jane, you couldn't have had anyone, like, lose a finger? Or something? Pssh.)


If you would like to read along, the text can be found at Project Gutenberg, and high-res copies of the Thompson illustrations can be found in the British Library's Flickr stream. No reading ahead, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment