Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Anne of Green Gables, Chapters Twenty-Five and Twenty-Six

In which Matthew finally resolves the question of the puffed sleeves, about which our narrator had told you we hadn't heard the last, and Anne starts a club to teach the other girls how to imagination.



I was unfamiliar with the term "bootjack," which Matthew is self-consciously holding whilst hiding from the little girls, but now that I know what one is I totally want one. It's like the opposite of a shoehorn, which is incidentally one of my favorite words. I'd also never heard of the fabric "gloria" before, which is "a fabric of silk, cotton, nylon, or wool for umbrellas, dresses, etc., often with a filling of cotton warp and yarn of other fiber." Apparently it's shiny.


Our cover here comes from a 2008 Korean edition which... really looks like it should be for some other book, doesn't it? I mean, I can dig the pastelly watercolors, but I seriously think that if Anne -- or any other character in the novel, for that matter -- were to wear some sort of gauzy dress cut down to the solar plexus, Marilla might just burst a blood vessel. And the big floppy hat? And the choker? And the earrings? I mean, heck, it took Marilla twenty-five chapters and some not-so-slick subterfuge before she grudgingly allowed those puffed sleeves. I don't think she'd allow this outfit to exist in Avonlea, much less let Anne wear it.


If you would like to read along, the text can be found at Project Gutenberg. No reading ahead, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment